Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Newts in Ontario
07-26-2012, 01:00 PM #1
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newts in Ontario
I’ve been out of the amphibian hobby for a few years now (5 or so) and have recently thought about getting back into it. I remember newts (and salamanders) being fairly hard to come by so figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask around and see if anyone knew of any breeders or petstores offering them for sale.
The species I would be most interested in finding now would be:
1. Rough-skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa) or its close relative the California Newt (Taricha torosa). This is the species I first worked with (Rough-skinned) so would love to start a small colony again.
2. Marbled Newt (Triturus marmoratus)
3. Emperor Newt (Tylototriton shangjing)
1. Fire Salamander (Salamandra salamandra) not picky on subspecies but did enjoy this species.
2. Marbled Salamander (Ambystoma opacum)
3. Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum or mavoritum) again not picky on subspecies
Ideally I would prefer to concentrate on one or two species and keep a colony rather than single specimens of several species0.1 RES (12 years old)
1.0.1 Eastern River Cooter's
0.0.1 Eastern Box Turtle
1.1 Rough-skinned Newts
5 African Dwarf Clawed Frogs
07-26-2012, 07:39 PM #2
I know in the Ottawa area the past several years it's been slim pickings for the most part compares to 15-20 years ago. The only things I've seen on your list somewhat recently, although rarely are the marbled newt, emperor newt and fire salamander. I don't know anyone breeding newts this year, sorry.